Monday, January 2, 2012

Smoking Bottoms


These are my favorite pants to date. I’ve entitled them “Smoking Bottoms” because they are inspired by vintage pants from the 1960’s.


This is my second attempt at making pants. For my first attempt I traced a pair of jeans that I owned to create the pattern and although the results were pretty cool, the crouch wasn’t very successful. Click here to see the Preppy Grunge Skinny Leg Pants project! Thanks to this video on YouTube, I learned how to properly attach a zipper to pants. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLye8munk0&feature=BFa&list=FL1zbEKELtfsp0Vwjf8SzqVQ&lf=mh_lolz)



For this project, I drafted my own pattern based upon techniques I learned from a pattern making class and these pants have a skinny leg – indeed. I designed the pants with an overlapping waistband with a metal latch hook closure, but I found that the pants would slip off my waist a lot. Several months later I added belt loops for a better fit. Additionally, there are two welt pockets at the back. I only wished I added buttons to secure my wallet.



Although the material appears differently in the photographs, these pants are made of a medium weight linen, so they are very breathable. Additionally, the color and the style are classic, so they’ll be a part of my wardrobe for a very long time.

I first wore them on my vacation cruise last October.




2 comments:

  1. Love these too--what a great fit. Your sewing is REALLY impressive K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this pants look awesome, perfect fitting. Always good to know what is in and what it out when it is about fashion trends.

    ReplyDelete